Wednesday, May 11, 2016

One sweet potato coming up

Last week, I bagged one sweet potato and one potato. The latter has a portion rotted, but sweet potato is doing well.

The very same sweet potato was actually suspended in a jar of water back in February, but it didn't go well, so I cut the rotted bottom and threw it into compost. Little did I know I would try again in a bag, but I didn't have any other sweet potato until I recalled there was one in the compost. I dug it out and it had grown some roots and slips, but all in white, because the lack of sun.

Anywho, I put some potting soil in the bag, which now is proved not enough, should be more so the potatoes wouldn't sit in wet soil. The sweet one on the top side of photo, the other on the bottom.

I added another layer of soil and replaced with a new potato, and kept its side of soil a bit of dry.

Not entirely sure if sweet potato can be grown in toweling method, but a quick search did get some results, although I didn't look into it.

I planned on harvesting sweet potato greens, I have seen they could easily take over a bed with their vigorous vines. The bag is really small, so I don't actually have any hopes for good tubers, but we will see.



I actually have another potato in a small container and it has five or six big stems, and it's at flowering stages, for which, I snipped of flower buds, even it doesn't seem to give much bigger tubers, just up to about 10%.

Also looking forward to ginger, which I've grown before about two years ago alongside turmeric. The ginger didn't have any new rhizomes even it had big leaves, but the turmeric produced a handful of rhizomes. They were grown in small box container, it's not a big harvest, but it's enough.

Right now, little beans are everywhere, some tomatoes are slowly growing. I don't trim most of the plants, so it takes really long time to set fruits, but I don't think I planted them for the eating or cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment